lunes, 6 de octubre de 2014

Youthpass, communication in foreign language


Hello shells! Here I am again with more Youthpass. I'm sure you love it! (Irony)

Today, I bring the second key competence of the Youthpass: communication in foreign languages. And this is the moment when I have to feel very very very very lucky, because my project is in England and it's not in another country (where I should have studied a new language). I only had to improve my English (because when I arrived here I thought that my English would be good enough but it wasn't). I'm going to sum up a little my relationship with English. Questions:
How well did I use the host country's language?
Well, I'm doing my bests...
What difficulties did I experience in communicating? How did I overcome those difficulties?
As you know, I had problems with the accent from here, And as you well know, I used my partners as translators. (Not sorry).
How creative was I in explaining things if I didn't find the correct word?
A little bit of Tabú here and a little of mimic there. But if you really need it, you can always maje yourself understandable. And if they want, they will understand you.
Did I also have a go at writing?
My writing is so much better than my speaking that I'm not worried about it. I have much more practice with it and I spend a lot of time reading in English It helps a lot.
Where did I identify most differences between my mother thongue and the newly learned language?
Especially, with the tenses (they get me crazy), possibly with phrasal verbs too (most of English people don't know what a phrasal verb is, I HATE phrasal verbs) and how you put the words in a sentence. But nothing that I can't improve quickly.
Did I learn something in terms of my communication style?
My English in general is OK and it has improved a lot, so my communication style is better. But if I have to talk about something particular, as you know I have a little freak inside me, and I would like to say that my listening has improved so much that I can watch TV or online interviews without subtitles and also I can understand songs without look for the lyrics on the Internet. And I'm REALLY proud if it.
Did I learn something about cultural aspects of communication in the host country?
I learned that most of our gestures don't mean anything in UK, I learned that when they are kidding they say that they are kidding, and the use too mucho words like thank you or sorry. So nothing that I didn't say before in this blog.

In the end, after half of your life studing English, you arrive at UK thinking that you won't have any problems with the language, and then you realize that neither you don't understand nor speak at all. And then, your English improves in one month much more than it improved in ten years. And then you go back home and forget everything. It's life!

Don't worry, the next key competences are funnier. I promise! For now til the end, it will be everything unicorns and rainbows! Wait and see!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario